Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Best Brownies plus Peanut Butter Frosting

Um, holy crap.  It's been almost two years since I've posted a recipe. TWO YEARS.  That means I've now officially been working for House of Antique Hardware for two years.  And I've been the Accounts Payable (which is a big job!) for almost a year now.  Life is busy.  And maybe I don't post as many recipes because I don't cook anymore.  Sad, but true.
But today turned into a SNOW day and I feel like tomorrow will be one too, so to celebrate, I made the BEST brownies.  No really, in my cookbook they're called Best Brownies.  And while they can easily stand on their own, it's also fun to mix in chocolate chips, nuts, Reeses Pieces, or any other mix in that strikes your mood.  My favorite mix in?  Peanut butter goodness! I made the Best Brownies even better with peanut butter frosting from Our Best Bites found here.  I made their cake and frosting recipe for my birthday treat to my coworkers and while I thought it was really yummy and I had many compliments, I strongly felt that the frosting recipe belonged more on brownies and not cake.  After taking one bite of these puppies, I knew I was dead right.  So delish.  Hope you think so too!


The Best Brownies
½ cup melted butter
½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup flour
⅔ cup cocoa
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine melted butter, oil, and sugar in medium bowl.  Add vanilla and eggs.  Stir well.  Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until brownies are done and pulled away from sides of pans, and toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool before frosting or devouring serving.

Peanut Butter Frosting


⅓ cup butter
⅓ cup milk
1 10 oz package peanut butter chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

Combine the butter, milk, and peanut butter chips in a medium saucepan and heat, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the chips are melted and the the mixture is combined. 
Remove from heat, then whisk in the vanilla extract and the powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy (you can use an electric mixer if you’d like). 
Pour the frosting over the brownies and smooth with a spatula.

If desired, top with Reeses Pieces (mini or full size- I  chose both!)
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment